Monday 6 June 2016

Toulou buildings - a World Heritage Site from China

In the past days I received some beautiful postcards, and I also sent one. In this post I would like to write about a World Heritage Site from China, and of course I would also like to show the other postcards I received.

FROM Malaysia

Although the postcard is from Malaysia, the card shows a place from Fujion, China. You can see the Tulou buildings, the 8-Diagram Fort. It was built between the 12th and 20th century. A tulou is a large, enclosed and fortified earth building, most commonly rectangular or circular in configuration, with very thick load-bearing rammed earth walls between three and five stories high and housing up to 800 people. Smaller interior buildings are often enclosed by these huge peripheral walls which can contain halls, storehouses, wells and living areas, the whole structure resembling a small fortified city.

The fortified outer structures are formed by compacting earth, mixed with stone, bamboo, wood and other readily available materials, to form walls up to 1.8 m thick. Branches, strips of wood and bamboo chips are often laid in the wall as additional reinforcement. The result is a well-lit, well-ventilated, windproof and earthquake-proof building that is warm in winter and cool in summer. Tulous usually have only one main gate, guarded by 100–130 mm wooden doors reinforced with an outer shell of iron plate. The top level of these earth buildings has gun holes for defensive purposes.

Since 2015, it is an UNESCO World Heritage Site.


TO Belgium

The woman likes birds, so I decided to send this postcard. I sent it a few days ago already, so I hope it arrives to its destination soon. 

FROM Russia

The card I got from Russia is really related to my hobbies - I really like collecting stamps, so the stamp postcards are one of my favourites. If I'm talking about stamps, she put some very beautiful ones on the back of the card, including a Formula 1 stamp. Unfortunately I cannot remove it without ruining the postcard, so I decided not to put it into my collection :( 

The machines you see on the picture are traditional Russian tea makers. I love drinking teas, so it's also interested to receive as a tea lover. 

FROM Belarus



No comments:

Post a Comment