Sunday 17 May 2015

Some facts about the main building of Hungary

A newer postcard arrived to its place, so I'm here again. this time I feel that I'm sending too many postcards about Budapest, but anyway, I'm sending this one:

TO Germany

The woman likes getting postcard about famous buildings. When I see requests like this, I always think about sending cards about Budapest, as I can find touristic cards easily, while the normal postcards are harder to find. However, if I send pictures about Budapest all the time, I won't be able to write anything special in my blog :D I won't start writing about my school again, like I did for the woman. But, I'm going to introduce the life of the Hungarian Parliament, which is the largest and highest building in Hungary.

Its construction started in 1885 according to the plans of Imre Steindl; and completed in 1904. About 1000 people were involved in the construction. They used 40 million bricks, half million precious stones and 40 kilogramm gold. It's in the gothic revival style, the dome has renaissance revival architecture. 

The Parliament has two halls out of which one is used for the politics, the other one is used for guided tours. It is 268 meters long and 123 meters wide. Its interior includes 10 courtyards, 13 passenger and freight elevators, 27 gates, 29 staircases and 691 rooms. Its height of 96 meters refers to the nation's millennium, 1896, and the conquest of the later Kingdom of Hungary in 896.

The facade displays statues of Hungarian rulers, Transylvanian leaders and famous military figures. The coats of arms of kings and dukes are depicted over the windows. The east stairs is flanked by two lions.

One of the famous parts of the building is the hexadecagonal (sixteen-sided) central hall, with huge chambers adjoining it: the Lower House and the Upper House. The modern National Assembly is unicameral and meets in the Lower House, while the Upper House is used as a conference and meeting room. The Holy Crown of Hungary, which is also depicted in the coat of arms of Hungary, has been displayed in the central hall since 2000.

Due to its extensive surface and its detailed handiwork, the building is almost always under renovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment